And a long blog post. Bear with me–I’m trying to effectively shove 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb sack. A lot happens when you don’t blog for over a week.

So I’m here. California, I mean. The left coast. It’s been…interesting. To say the least.

Well, first things first, which was my trip to D.C. That was pretty boring, from a knitting blog’s point of view. I didn’t even go to any yarn stores! But it turns out my roommate was a knitter, and I think I got her if not hooked at least interested in Ravelry. Yay me.

I got there Thursday, May 29th, spent a few days with my brother and SIL and the munchkins, then did the AAAS thang from Monday to Wednesday. I flew back to Indiana on Wednesday afternoon, which is where things get interesting.

I don’t know how much you guys pay attention to the weather, but it was pretty nasty in D.C. on Wednesday afternoon. That would be June 5th. My plane took off on time, but apparently they shut down the airport about 5 minutes after we left. Then we landed in Indy, and they shut down the airport about 15 minutes after we got there. That’s because a huge, nasty, ginormous storm came through. I didn’t think about the repercussions of this storm at the time, since I was so happy to see my blub, plus the check engine light went on in my car as we were pulling out of the airport parking lot.

Did I mention that was the night before we were supposed to drive said car to California?

So after my initial panic mode (I tend to freak out about things first, then quickly calm down and deal with them efficiently and rationally. It’s my MO), I called our local Ford dealer and got an appointment for 7:30 the next morning. We then drove the rest of the way home. As far as we could get anyway.

For that was the night that my home town got 2 inches of rain in 90 minutes. Nels and I didn’t know this at the time, we were just driving along innocently. We didn’t even get rained on the whole trip home! But as we got very close to our back-woods abode, it was apparent that something nasty had gone down. Or come down. The roads were flooded on our normal route, so we tried a second. That had a very large tree across the road, so we tried a third. And we finally got there, taking about 1.5 hours longer than usual, to find this waiting for us.

Bridge devestation 6

It’s a footbridge. Up against our bridge/deck thing that leads to the house. It used to be in front of my neighbor’s house. But now it is in front of ours.

Bridge devestation 4

The water was so high and it was going so fast that it frigging swept our neighbor’s bridge away. Fortunately, that holy mess contains not very much damage to our own bridge. A couple of the supports got pushed askew, and the ramp that leads to the garage side got pushed a few feet, but that’s about it.

Bridge devestation 2

It’s just really scary looking. (And by the way, the water also went up over our bridge. That’s really scary. I’m glad we weren’t there.)

The real damage happened in our garage. There were water marks in there that were over my knees. I’m pretty short, but that still was about a foot and a half of water in our garage. Luckily for us, neither of our cars was there. But the blub’s motorcycle was. I don’t know if it’s wrecked or not—he didn’t check. And our riding mower might be toast. But I lost some stuff that was on lower shelves in the garage. Like my high school yearbooks. And the short story I won the Young Author’s award for when I was 9. (No, I don’t have any copies.) And pictures of my second grade class. Stuff like that. All ick, all ruined. Plus there’s about two inches of slimy mud in the garage, waiting for Nels when he gets home. And I really hope it’s not any worse than that, as another huge storm went through there last night. And at the time of this writing, Nels isn’t home yet. He had a layover in Chicago, and he’s been delayed there for, oh about four hours now. Hopefully he’ll get home soon, and call to tell me everything’s okay. I really really hope so anyway.

So anyway, after finding all that mess and crap at home, we still left the next day. Well, after sitting at the mechanic’s for three hours and leaving them with about $700 of our money. But I guess the good thing about that is that we found out about the repair before we hit the road, and for the cable access. See, we were watching CNN in the waiting room, and saw that we were about to drive into 300 miles of tornadoes. So we decided to go a different way. But that meant not driving through Denver to see my little brother, which kind of sucked. But oh well.

(Just got a call from the blub. He’s in Indy now, going home. Cross your fingers for us!)

Okay, sorry about that. A lot happened to us between last Wednesday night and Thursday morning. But we got on the road just fine. We drove through Illinois, Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California, a total of 2062 miles. Here are some highlights from the journey.

I think we were in Texas

We were in Texas, I think.

Um, road

Yep. We drove on a road.

The blub at his best

Goofing around in Holbrook, Arizona.

The kiss

I guess he really liked that dinosaur.

Holbrook, AZ

More Holbrook, AZ. They are apparently fond of dinosaurs there.


And they had really old gas pumps. I hadn’t seen ones like this in ages!

welcome to CA

Welcome to California. Ouch.

And I left my sweetie at the airport this morning. I’m lonely and sad and I’m not sure I like Southern California very much. But I guess I’ll get used to it. It’s only for two months, right? That’s what Nels said to me this morning when I dissolved into tears in his arms. It’s only two months.

And now I’m sitting on the floor in a Barnes and Noble, typing with my laptop propped on a chair. I have to pay for internet access since I don’t have any at the townhouse where I’m staying. And it’s so full that I can’t even find a stupid table. My butt’s getting numb, so I guess I’ll go. Sorry for the sad and long post. But I’m feeling pretty sad right now. Tell me some jokes, okay? The worse the better. Make me forget where I am, please.